Master of Arts in International Development
WCIU Admissions Policy
In order to apply to study at WCIU the following requirements must be met in full:
1. Fill out the MA in International Development online application: (pay $50 one-time application fee)
2. Identify a professional reference on the application who will need to fill out an online reference form. This will also be used to confirm the applicant’s agency membership (to determine if they are eligible for the 50% discount on the Foundations of Biblical Faith Course).
3. Have a bachelor’s degree or international equivalent from an accredited university as evidenced by submitting an official transcript from said university. We prefer to receive official transcripts as soon as possible. During the application phase, WCIU can use an unofficial transcript to initially process candidacy. Candidates must be aware, however, that final acceptance and enrollment can only happen after WCIU has received and evaluated an official transcript. See Foreign Transcript Evaluation admission requirements.
4. Meet the appropriate English requirement:
a. Applicants whose first language is not English or not from a country on the Purdue List of English-Speaking Countries, will need to demonstrate English proficiency at the graduate level in one of the following ways:
TOEFL score of 90 (for the internet-based test)
TOEFL score of 550 (for the paper-based test)
IELTS score of 6.5
b. Applicants from a country on the Purdue List of English-Speaking Countries who did not grow up speaking English in their home will also need to demonstrate English proficiency in one of the ways identified above.
c. Applicants from a country on the Purdue List of English-Speaking Countries and who grew up speaking English in their home will be asked to complete a web interview with a faculty member and one member of the Admissions or Registrar’s staff.
5. Provide a certified copy of government-issued photo identification (upload to application). See student identification verification policy.
6. WCIU is required by California law to notify applicants of WCIU’s current accreditation status. Applicants must complete, sign, and submit the Notice to Prospective Students verifying that they have received the notification and intend to apply to WCIU.
7. Meet the Technology & Computer Requirements
Once all the application materials have been submitted, WCIU will review the application, request any additional information, and schedule any needed interviews. A determination will be made about accepting the applicant into the program. The applicant will then be notified whether their application has been accepted or denied.
If the application is denied, the applicant will be told why. They have the right to appeal the denial by providing additional evidence of meeting the requirements.
If the application is accepted, the applicant may then pursue final acceptance and enrollment.
Admission Requirements – Final Acceptance
Final acceptance and enrollment is granted to students who, after the application process, still desire to pursue the Master of Arts in International Development degree program. In order to be considered for final acceptance and enrollment, the applicant must:
1. Arrange for their university to submit all official transcripts to WCIU at least 30 days prior to the start of the term they wish to enroll as a student.
WCIU must receive, evaluate, and accept all official transcripts before the applicant can be fully admitted and enrolled in their first class. Timely submission of official transcripts will enable applicants to begin their studies on time. Accrediting standards require WCIU to withdraw a student who has not submitted official transcripts within their first term of study. In order to protect students from facing such a disruption, immediately after beginning the program, WCIU will not enroll students in their first term of study until their official transcripts have been received and processed. Once students begin the program, WCIU wants them to be able to continue without interruption. Therefore, no exceptions can be made to this requirement.
Official transcripts and other documentation should be mailed to the following address:
William Carey International University
Office of the Registrar
1605 East Elizabeth Street
Pasadena CA, 91104
2. Complete, sign, and submit (to Populi) the required acceptance forms which consist of the Notice to Prospective Students, School Performance Fact Sheet, and Enrollment Agreement. Once the signed acceptance forms are reviewed and approved, the student will receive access to enroll in courses in Populi. The signed Enrollment Agreement will be posted in Populi within 10 days of acceptance.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: WCIU does not offer visas and cannot vouch for student status in regards to studying in the United States.
NOTE FOR CONDITIONAL ADMISSION STUDENTS FROM THE PRIOR ADMISSIONS POLICY (2017-18)
Students who entered under the prior admissions policy (2017-18) and are awaiting an official transcript will be allowed to complete courses in the July 2018 term. They cannot take further courses until an official transcript has been received, evaluated, and approved.
After submitting the initial information you will receive an email from WCIU with a link to the Application for Admissions.
MA in International Development Program
PhD in International Development Program*
This application is for those who previously attended WCIU, but stopped taking courses for two or more consecutive terms and would like to return back to the University.
*Note: If readmitted to the program, there will be a $50.00 readmission fee since you have not taken courses for two consecutive terms or more. Please see catalog for more information.
PhD in International Development Program
Acceptance for our PhD in International Development program is currently paused. WCIU is only admitting new students into its core, MA in International Development degree program.
If you have a question or need assistance with an application, please email email@example.com or call (626) 398-2273 anytime before 6pm Pacific Standard Time.