WCIU is approved to operate in the State of California by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (http://bppe.ca.gov/) to grant M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in International Development.
The MA in International Development with a specialization in Global Civilization requires the completion of a standardized, foundational 36 semester-unit program, including a Capstone Project, within 2 to 10 years. Students propose a local mentor-coach who has a graduate degree in a relevant field such as biblical studies, history, or anthropology. All Mentor-Coaches must be approved by WCIU.
Students in the Ph.D. program are normally recruited by a major advisor who has identified specific areas needing research within the field of International Development, as defined by WCIU. The student serves in an apprentice relationship with the major advisor who, along with a committee of qualified scholars, guides the student in designing the doctoral learning contract (DLC). This contract includes a minimum of 46 semester units of course work and a dissertation.
Institutional Educational Objectives
WCIU’s holistic approach to international development requires that students be able to:
1. Apply insights from the integration of biblical, cultural, and historical research to identify the roots of pervasive problems associated with the multifaceted nature of human need.
2. Integrate biblical, cultural, and historical insights in order to explain to others the purposes of God within their own lives and in the lives of those in their ministry setting.
3. Propose ways in which they can work with others through appropriate structures to help a particular society fight against specific evils and better reflect God’s will for humans and creation.
4. Reason analytically when assessing theories and proposing solutions.
5. Organize their own learning and thinking and communicate the results of their research in effective ways to a variety of audiences, including other scholars as well as oral learners.
Notice to Prospective Degree Program Students
This institution is approved by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education to offer degree programs. To continue to offer degree programs this institution must meet the following requirements:
• Become institutionally accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education with the scope of the accreditation covering at least one degree program
• Achieve accreditation candidacy or pre-accreditation as defined in regulations by 2017, and-full accreditation by July 1, 2020.
If this institution stops pursuing accreditation it must:
• Stop all enrollment in its degree programs and
• Provide a teach-out to finish the educational program or provide a refund.
An institution that fails to comply with accreditation requirements by the required dates shall have its approval to offer degree programs automatically suspended.
Other helpful links for our programs: